When the seasons change, it can affect and bring out a change to the health of your skin. What your skin needs in the hot summer months isn’t the same as your needs in colder, drier conditions. Let’s explore how to switch up your skincare routine for each season.
Winter: Fight the Dryness
The winter months can be harsh on your skin due to the cold temperatures and low humidity. To protect your skin follow these steps:
- Moisturize to the Max: Your skin can become extremely dry during the winter months if you don’t moisturize. During this time, use your heaviest moisturizers along with hydrating cleansers, serums, and facial oils.
- Beat the Heat: While it can be tempting to run a hot shower or crank up the heat after a cold day out, the hot water and air can dry out your skin further. Instead, try cuddling up under a blanket or running a warm shower.
- Humidify Your Home: Humidity is low during the winter and can get even lower when the heat is on in your home. To fight this, try investing in a humidifier to bring some moisture back to your skin.
Spring: Revitalizing Your Skin
After the harsh chill of winter, your skin will need some revamping. Follow these tips to achieve glowing, renewed skin:
- Exfoliate: Spring is an excellent time to shed all that dead skin build-up from the colder months. Use a gentle exfoliant to brighten up your skin.
- Lighten Up: As the warmer months approach, swap out your heavy moisturizer from winter for something more lightweight on your skin.
- Apply Sunscreen: As the days get longer and the UV more intense, don’t forget to apply your sunscreen before stepping out that door. Opt for at least an SPF 30 sunscreen for smooth and radiant skin.
Summer: Protect and Hydrate
The sun is at its peak during the summer months, which may be great for our vitamin D intake but not so great for our skin. Make these adjustments to ensure your skin is in tip-top shape:
- Double Sunscreen: The UV is at its highest during summer, so ensuring your skin is maximally protected is a necessity. I recommended double-layering sunscreen and reapplying throughout the day for the best coverage.
- Hydration Station: The sun can also dry you out during the summertime so make sure to hydrate! Make sure to drink lots of water, moisturize, and use hydrating serums.
- Oil Control: If you are prone to oily skin, the heat of the summer doesn’t help. Try using oil-controlling cleansers and moisturizers to minimize build-up.
Fall: Repair and Prepare
As we transition away from summer and into the cooler weather, we want to start preparing our skin as well as repairing it from any damage during the summer. Try out these changes in your skincare to keep a year-long glow:
- Repair the Damage: After the extreme summer heat, your skin may be suffering. Repair any damage by incorporating products containing antioxidants, retinol, or vitamin C to heal your skin, fade sunspots, and boost collagen.
- Prep for the Cold: As the temperature cools down, opt for a slightly richer moisturizing cream to lock in the hydration.
No matter the time of year, we all want healthy skin. As the seasons change, contact the experts Pure Dermatology Cosmetic & Hair Center for the best dermatology care in Newport Beach!