PDT Home Care Instructions
Day of Treatment
- You may apply an ice pack or cool water to the treated areas if needed. This will help keep the area cool and alleviate any discomfort as well as help keep swelling down.
- Use Advil or Tylenol for discomfort if needed.
- Protect yourself from the sun! Use a wide brimmed hat and sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or greater. Your skin will be VERY sensitive to the light for 48 hours. Stay indoors with as little light exposure as possible. You may leave the house after 48 hours. Make sure you are applying sunscreen frequently during your healing process.
- You may shower the day after your treatment. Continue with steps above. The discomfort usually subsides between 48-72 hours following the treatment.
- If blisters form, you should soak the areas with a solution of 1 teaspoon of white vinegar and 1 cup of cold water. Ice should be applied directly over vinegar soaks. Soak for 20 min. Pat the area dry and apply the Calming Cream from our office, (or Aquaphor and Hydrocortisone). Follow this step every 4-6 hours during the hours you are awake.
- Re-apply Aquaphor or Calming Cream as needed. The treated area will be dry and tight. Keep using moisturizer to help hydrate your skin.
- You may begin using make-up or shaving once the crusting, if any, has healed. This usually occurs 5-10 days following the treatment.
- Avoid getting any sun 2 weeks after the treatment. The treated area will be very photosensitive to sun exposure and pigment changes may occur. Re-apply your sunscreen at least 2 times a day.
- Your skin may be red for up to 2 weeks. Please call our office if.