Cosmelan is the most leading edge medical mask on the market for patients with Melasma. This mask treats all skin types if you are struggling with pigmentation, melasma, pregnancy melasma and photo damage. Cosmelan literally targets your skins over production in melanin, helping to suppress it so create a more even skin tone. Cosmelan is typically repeated once a year. If you are looking for monthly maintenance on dark spots, check out our Esthetician page to find out what more you can do
What should I avoid before & after your treatment?
- Stop the use of all Salicylic and Glycolic Acids as well as any Retinol, Tretinoin & Retin-A for 3-5 days pre/post treatment.
- Staying out of the sun when the UV rays are at their peak as any chemical peels make your skin more photosensitive.
- Do not wear makeup on the day of treatment
- No sun-tanning or self-tanners 4 weeks prior to treatment (includes spray tans, tanning lotions, tanning beds, sun exposure, etc.)
- Some medications or supplements may increase the risk of bruising. Consult with your physician.
- Notify the clinic with any changes to your health history or medications since your last appointment
This quick in office procedure takes approximately 20 minutes. Our trained professionals apply a thick layer of the Cosmelan mask to the full face. The mask looks like peanut butter, so we let patients know to go straight home after the application. The mask sits on the face for 8-10 hours depending on the severity of the pigmentation. Once the 8-10 hours are up, wash your face with a mild cleanser. You will go home with aftercare instructions on how to use your at home kit.
Some people may experience slight dryness or flaking of the skin but most patients don’t shed skin.