Facial masks are all the rage in skincare. With a promise of rejuvenated, glowing, and hydrated skin, these masks are flying off the shelves.
Let’s take a look at the effectiveness of these masks and unmask the truth about the benefits and drawbacks.
Benefits of Facial Masks:
- Deep Cleansing: Face masks work well to cleanse your skin of its impurities, excess oils, and dirt. These facial masks dig deep into your pores, leaving you feeling refreshed and clean.
- Amazing Hydration: One of the most evident effects of facial masks is the moisture they bring to your skin. Even if the ingredients aren’t necessarily moisturizing, the natural moisture in your skin cannot evaporate into the air when you wear your face mask. So your skin looks plump and hydrated after essentially any face mask.
- Variety of Uses: There are tons of different types of face masks out there, all with specific purposes. Depending on your own skincare goals, you can choose a face mask that targets acne, dark spots, fine lines, dry skin, excess oils, dead skin, and more.
- Designed for a Quick Fix: Face masks are designed to deliver a strong, intensive burst of nourishing ingredients to your skin. Because these masks usually sit on your face for 10-15 minutes, the products are forced to absorb into your skin, giving your face a quick and concentrated remedy.
Drawbacks of Facial Masks:
- Temporary Results: While you may see instant results when using a face mask, those results are not long-lasting. To maintain that radiance in your skin, always pair your facial masks with a solid skincare routine.
- Skin Sensitivity: If you have sensitive skin, choosing a face mask can be difficult. Because face masks are highly concentrated with ingredients, it can irritate sensitive skin. If you experience any discomfort, inflammation, or redness, stop using the face mask immediately, and cleanse your skin of any leftover product.
- Excess or Harmful Chemical Ingredients: Some face masks are packed with excessive ingredients. Less can be more when it comes to an ingredient list. Be sure to read all ingredients before purchasing a mask to ensure it is not harmful to your skin.
- Pricey: One of my biggest issues with face masks is the price. A higher price does not necessarily mean a better face mask, so don’t be fooled. Many less expensive masks can be just as effective at delivering the same results.
Facial masks are a valuable addition to your skincare regimen, but it’s essential to educate yourself before using them on your skin. Dr. Neda Mehr, available at the Pure Dermatology Cosmetic & Hair Center, can provide expert guidance and support on your skincare journey.
AUTHOR: NEDA MEHR, MD is a board-certified dermatologist and founder of Pure Dermatology Cosmetic & Hair Center, one of the largest and most comprehensive privately owned dermatology and hair centers in the nation. Dr. Neda Mehr has been awarded “Top Cosmetic Dermatologist“ in Newport Beach, specializing in all aspects of the skin and hair for both male and female patients. Dr. Mehr is known for being a “functional dermatologist” and looking at a patient as a whole person rather than a problem. This role has placed her as a fan favorite and leading expert in acne and hair loss, and she can be seen regularly in Allure, Cosmopolitan, NBC California Live and countless other platforms sharing her expert knowledge to help patients look and feel their very best!